The following section describes the abilities that characters can purchase. There are several important types of abilities that are available.
- A Stance is an ability that’s maintained over several bouts, or perhaps an entire fight. Specific stances are frequently required to use specific attacks, defenses, utilities and augments. Stances always require the expenditure of mana. While maintaining a stance, you gain a number of actions per bout (See Ready).
- An Attack is an ability that attempts to do damage or impose a negative effect on the target. Attacks always require a roll and a contest to perform. Most attacks are Standard Actions.
- A Defense is an ability that helps you avoid damage or mitigate effects. Typically defenses may be used only under certain triggers. You may use multiple defenses against a single attack, but each use counts as a separate action. Most Defenses are minor actions.
- A Utility is an ability that is not an attack or defense. Most utilities can be used in combat, but may also be useful outside of combat. Utilities are frequently move or minor actions, but may also be standard actions.
- A Ritual is an ability that cannot be performed during combat because it requires extended concentration for the duration of performing it. Rituals may be attacks, defenses or utilities depending on their effect. Rituals generally require a certain amount of mana and the expenditure of stamina throughout the ceremony.
- An Augment provides a way to modify an ability by expending one stamina. Augments generally provide incredible effects. For ease of cross-referencing, augments are also listed in the descriptions of abilities they modify.
- A Feat modifies any of the above types of abilities in a passive, permanent way. For ease of cross-referencing, feats are also listed in the descriptions of abilities they modify.
Each ability costs an attribute point of the same type used to purchase the skill that they key off of (See Atlas Skills. A brief description of each ability is given on the page for each ability. Abilities of a given skill cost one of two types of mana to maintain.
- Melee – Green and Black
- Athletics – Green and Blue
- Artifice – Red and White
- Destruction – Red and Black
- Evocation – Red and Blue
- Abjuration – Black and White
- Conversation – Blue and White
- Nature – Green and Red
- Conjuration – Green and White
- Trickery – Black and Blue
- Generic – Any mana type.